Friday, March 14, 2008

Get Dora out of my coffee!

These days are flying by so fast it’s as if I’ve been transported through some sort of time travel. As a matter of fact, my father was explaining to me Einsteins theory of time travel. It’s fascinating really. If you travel at the speed of light you will actually be moving faster than time.


That’s kind of what it is like having two children. I wake to the sound of one of them crying but of course one wakes the other so really it will be two crying within a few minutes. I run as fast as humanly possible to one...diaper change, hugs, if it’s Izzy we’ve gotta bring pooh bear, eyore and dora along. Oh, mamma, go get blanket please. "Oranse" juice please mamma. Ok, here’s breakfast, here’s your friends, sit in your chair, watch sesame street while I go feed our baby. I walk around the house with the baby in one arm nursing him at the same time while I pour that very needed cup of coffee.


To me, the cup of coffee is like the oxygen mask that falls from the ceiling of an airplane. You know how they say if you have small children, in case of emergency place the mask on your face first so you will be able to care for the child. Well, that’s my coffee.


Isabella and I have shared a morning routine for a while now. We sit together in the recliner and watch Sesame Street. We talk about the ABCs and 123s and eat our oatmeal. It’s been pretty hard lately to make time to do that with a newborn around and all. Everytime he starts to cry she holds on to my arm, leg or hand. Anything she can get a good grip on. It breaks my heart for her to be left out so much these days.


This morning the baby slept late and she got her time with mama. We also had to let Dora the Explorer sit with us. She is crazy about Dora in a way that is almost frightening. She talks about Dora and her friends Boots, backpack and map. If you have a small child you know EXACTLY what I am talking about. You also realize how scandalous marketers are. Cereal boxes, cookies, yogurt, candy, crackers, everything at the grocery store with Dora is down at her eye level. Please mama, dora. No...you don’t need neon colored fruit snacks saturated in sugar. But mama, it has Dora on it.


This morning she thought it would be great to put dora in my coffee. There she was, my biggest competition in my oxygen mask. I’d like to meet the person who came up with this Dora thing. She’s not quite as obnoxious as Barney or Blue’s Clues, and Izzy is becoming bilingual a bit. Is it green or is it verde? Hello or Ola? Who knows. I don’t care as long as she stays out of my "mamma juice".

No comments: